5 Tips to Cultivating a Closet that is full of 100s
5 TIPS TO CULTIVATING A CLOSET FULL OF 100s
I strongly believe that every piece in your closet should make you feel like a 100 bucks. I have been doing my own closet culling as of late and it's a good feeling knowing that I can pull anything from my closet and know I can just pop it on, it will look good, I'll feel good, and can be ready to rock and roll in my day.
That said, I know this can put a lot of people into a free fall of panic - how do you create this? Does this mean you have to give everything away? Do you have to create a minimal closet? The answers are pretty simple (and no, you don't have to get minimal) but you do need to spend some time with your clothes. Below I've got 5 tips that will help you determine what stays, what goes, and how you should add pieces back in.
- How do you FEEL? This is the #1 question I always pose to my clients when they are unsure of a piece. If you don't feel good in a piece (and you'll know it, it just may take a few wears), then you will never wear it. It doesn't deserve a spot in your closet!
- Does it FLATTER? Aka - make your legs butt, or boobs (or whatever else, you pick!) look good? Pieces should accentuate the things you love about yourself - when it flatters, you'll feel good.
- Does it FIT? Fit is key - and it's about making sure pieces aren't too big or too small. They should skim the shape of your body showing shape. Now - not to say you can rock boyfriend jeans or oversized sweaters. If you FEEL good in those, then go back to #1 and by all means rock it! But generally speaking, most clothing should fit well. If you need a tailor - get it!
- Does it FLOW? Does your closet work together to create a whole picture or is it full of one-off and mismatched pieces you bought on clearance or because a friend said it was super cute? Those pieces rarely work towards creating a closet full of 100s because they weren't bought with a cohesive wardrobe in mind.
- Does it deFINE? What do your clothes say about you? What image do you want to convey? Why is this important? Because you can control the message you're sending with your clothing - want to be edgy and in charge? Put on some boots and leather. Love the romantic girly look? Then you need dresses and some pastels and florals stat. Want a promotion? Get some tailored work wear pieces and an amazing blazer. Clothing is our way to express your personality and tell the world who you are. Your 100 pieces in your closet should all be on the same page.
Watch the live video below!
Need help defining what these pieces should be for you? Registration is now open for 30 Days to Signature Style a virtual course that will help you define your signature style.
Early bird pricing closes March 15 - just two days - so sign up now to save $75 on the course!
Sydney is a personal wardrobe stylist with over nine years of experience in the fashion industry. She specializes in helping women create sustainable and timeliness wardrobes that work for them, not against them. She is also the creator of BEYOND where she provides coaching services for aspiring personal stylists helping them take their styling hobby to a full-time business.
Sydney is a graduate of the Los Angeles-based School of Style, holds dual masters degrees and currently lives in Richmond with her husband and three cats. She loves black coffee, vintage, and the great outdoors.
For styling or coaching inquiries: please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org