A Return to the Jazz Age | A Nonprofit Event Giveaway
For those of you just tuning in, you may or may not know that I hold a Masters in Social Work and have spent the better part of twelve years volunteering with and working for nonprofits. While my career path has taken a different turn into fashion and freelance grant writing, I love supporting local organizations that are making a difference in my community. Enter Housing Families First and their 3rd annual signature fundraising event: A Night at the Theatre. It is, of course, a jazz/prohibition/roaring 20's theme which is always so fun to get dressed up for. HFF has offered a very special giveaway, keep reading through the end of this post! In the mean time, do you need a few ideas for what to wear? Head to this post which gives you the scoop on dressing for the Roaring 20s!
ABOUT THE EVENT
Practice your Charleston—we’re gearing up for A Night at the Theater: A Return to the Jazz Age, Housing Families First’s third annual signature event. On March 4, from 7-10pm, the Hippodrome Theater will transform into a 1920s nightclub, all for a great cause: to move Richmond families out of homelessness.
- This is the first time we’ve held the event at the Hippodrome, but it’s the perfect venue for this year’s JAZZY theme.
- Anyone who’s been to A Night at the Theatre knows that we like to dress up! It’s not required, but you’re bound to have more fun. This is definitely the right night to put on your best pin-stripes or flapper dress. Guests get to take a trip in the way-back machine and dance the night away to jazz standards performed by the world famous Doc’s House of Love jazz trio.
- Our very own Cab Calloway will also perform a few tunes. Incidentally, the REAL Cab Calloway actually performed at the Hippodrome back in the day!
- Join in the fun and win prizes in our Whiskey Ring Toss or Heads or Tails game. Plus, bid on amazing experiences and items in our silent auction. There are auction packages that are sure to appeal to everyone.
- Don't miss your chance to have a lot of fun, all for a good cause: moving Richmond families out of homelessness. Tickets are $100 each. Get yours today at www.housingfamiliesfirst.org.
HOUSING FAMILIES FIRST
We help families experiencing homelessness find housing first and coordinate with our community partners to keep them stably housed.
Families are referred to us through Commonwealth Catholic Charities. In 2016, more than 243 children and adults were referred to us.
The best part about the program is that it has staying power- most (85%) of the families do not return to homelessness one year after signing their lease.
To celebrate, Housing Families First is giving away a pair of tickets to one lucky Richmonder. To enter, comment on this blog post with your favorite decade of dressing. Giveaway closes Friday, March 3, 2017, 12 PM. Must reside in Richmond to win.
Many thanks to Housing Families First who provided the tickets for this giveaway. I was gifted a pair of tickets to attend the event. It's an honor to help spread the word about this event for an organization who is making a difference for those experiencing homelessness in Richmond.